18 May 2016
EDUCATION ALLOWANCE /2
By Helen CONEFREY
EU DELEGATION QUITO
USHU CALLS on ALL EXPATS IN DEL - To Quantify the Impact of the NEW PACKAGE !
FMB: REP PERS OSP USHU
· USHU is actively lobbying with all TRADE UNIONS to have a united front and to support EXPAT staff in Delegation who will be adversely affected by this new package of measures
· USHU together with other TRADE UNIONS, is requesting a SOCIAL DIALOGUE meeting on this issue – the EEAS /COMM continues to avoid a conversation with us and claims this can be unilaterally imposed whilst respecting the Staff Regulations!
· USHU is asking you, staff in DEL belonging to both the EEAS & COMM, to send a Joint Delegation NOTE to the EEAS : EEAS DEL EDUCATION ALLOWANCES (EEAS) DEL-EDUCATION-ALLOWANCES@eeas.europa.eu in which colleagues detail the financial impact of the new measures – we need your active contribution to demonstrate that this is an inherently unfair approach which penalizes ALL colleagues with children of school age in Delegation, colleagues on lower salaries, colleagues with several children and single-income parents.
· USHU has information that certain language regimes are affected more than others ( particularly EN schools where the rates tend to be higher) – the EU should ensure that all EXPATS have access to the appropriate language regime and are treated equally – parents are not in a position to move their children from an EN school to a FR/ DE or any other during the year nor in the short-term without severely hindering educational progress.
· USHU believes that Heads of Delegation have a powerful role in transmitting staff concerns to HQ. Already certain HoD do NOT agree with the new measures and believe they will make Delegations increasingly "unattractive" to staff with families
· USHU requests you to get informed, read about the changes and have your say.
THE CAPITAL LEVY/INVESTMENT FEE – this is a requirement in nearly all independent schools in third countries where we work
This is non-returnable and obligatory in order to secure entry to a school and was fully eligible for reimbursement in the past.
The EEAS now indicates the CAPITAL LEVY will NOT be reimbursed henceforth (do the sums, this will be a substantial additional cost for any parent with one or more children of compulsory school age)
ANNEX X – previously considered by some as "perks and privileges" for officials in third countries, is almost unrecognisable since 2014 :
· Annual Leave reduced by over 42% to 24 days in 2016 ( previously 42!)
· Annual Travel now in ECO
· New Housing Policy placing greater responsibility on colleagues under Art 23
· New 40-hour week in DEL – 18 more workdays + 18 days LOST under Annual leave = at least 36 DAYS EXTRA per annum in Delegation
Management continue to target the Special & Exceptional provisions for staff serving in Delegation
ACT NOW, GET ORGANISED : send your collective DEL notes of PROTEST against these measures to : DEL-EDUCATION-ALLOWANCES@eeas.europa.eu
There are limits to what can be absorbed by staff whilst maintaining morale & high performance
RESPECT SOCIAL DIALOGUE & ENGAGE IN AN OPEN DISCUSSION WITH TUs & elected STAFF REPs!
Let's SAVE on INFRASTRUCTURE, NOT on EDUCATION !
USHU Bureau Executive: Helen CONEFREY (President), Victoria DAVYDOVA (General Secretary), Siggi KRAHL (Political Secretary), Jordi CARRASCO-MUNOZ, Noel KAMDEN, Alessandro LIAMINE, Aminata ONGOIBA, Ugo SOKARI-GEORGES, Dimitrije STANKOVIC; Diego GONZALEZ MARIN (Vice President)
Contact us Our website Intracomm  Join USHU